POPLAR WOOD FARM
2014 COMMUNITY SUPPORTED AGRICULTURE (“CSA”)
WHAT IS CSA?
Poplar Wood Farm’s CSA program is our way of bringing our locally grown
produce to communities seeking food grown using organic practices. During the
growing season, June to the end of November, members in our program are entitled to a weekly ‘share’ contain-ing an assortment of seasonal vegetables with the option to add eggs and/or flowers if you choose. Members pickup their share during the designated time at the farm or at one of the farmers’ markets we attend. CSA is a mutually beneficial arrangement between farmer and consumer.
Benefits to farmer:
- Receiving commitments from members in advance allows better crop planning and provides resources to purchase seeds and other supplies early in the growing season
- During the growing season, the farmer can focus on producing high quality food rather than marketing it
Benefits to consumer:
- Receive fresh, local produce every week that is grown using organic practices
- Develop a relationship with the farmer and learn about how your food is grown
- Exposure to unique varieties of your favorite vegetables along with some new vegetables you may not have otherwise tried
ORGANIC PRACTICES, LOCALLY GROWN
We use no GMO seed, pesticides, or synthetic fertilizers. Our organic growing methods rely on the use of cover cropping, compost, beneficial insects, and other environmentally conscious ways of growing our crops. We are firm believers in the value of healthy food and make no concessions when it comes to our growing methods.
CSA allows you to purchase your vegetables, flowers, and eggs directly from the farm where they are grown. Since our produce won’t travel long distances, it will maintain its fresh picked flavor and nutrition.
WHATS IN A SHARE?
Every week we will survey our fields and select a variety of vegetables which will be harvested and packed into your individual share to be picked up at the location of your choice. Below are a few examples of what your share might contain on a given week. We send weekly emails to let you know what you will receive.
Items we plan on growing this season for our shareholders include : arugula,
beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cucumbers, eggplant,
escarole, garlic, kale, lettuce, onions, peppers (hot & sweet), potatoes, radishes,
spinach, scallions, swiss chard, sugar snap peas, tomatoes (jersey reds,
heirloom, cherry), watermelon, winter squash, zucchini, and a variety of herbs
including basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme, sage, mint, chives and cilantro.
1) Regular share - Suggested for a vegetarian or a small family eating a vegetable supplemented diet
2) Large share - Approximately double the quantity of vegetables as the regular share, the large share is sug-gested for a larger family eating a vegetable supplemented diet, a small family eating a vegetable based diet, or two vegetarians.
In addition receiving your weekly vegetables, we offer the option to add an egg share and/or a flower share. The egg share includes a dozen eggs every week from our free range chickens which are fed organic feed. The flower share offers you a way to treat yourself every week to the beauty of a bouquet of fresh flowers. Flowers we will be growing include: Sweet Peas, Oriental Lilies, Zinnias, Hydrangeas, Peonies, Calla Lillies, Tuberose, Cockscomb, Dahlias and Sunflowers.
PICK UP LOCATIONS
Poplar Wood Farm - Port Murray, NJ - Thursdays from 12:00pm-6:00pm
Hoboken Family Farmers Market - Hoboken, NJ - 14th & Garden Street - Saturdays from 9:00am-2:00pm
Historic Downtown Jersey City Farmers Market – Jersey City, NJ - Grove Street PATH station - Thursdays from 4:00pm-8:00pm
Hamilton Park Farmers Market - Jersey City, NJ - Hamilton Park - Wednesdays from 3:30pm-7:30pm
Interested in adding a new pick-up location? Please email us (must have at least 10 people).
In the event that you are unable to pick up your share at your regularly scheduled time for a given week, you may switch to one of the other pickup locations for that week if you provide advance notice. You can also have a friend or family member pick up for you. All shares not picked up on drop off day will be given to a community food pantry.
Poplar Wood Farm
Port Murray, NJ
908 399 7655